Disclaimer: If you came to the post to read because you are fascinated with the lifestyle, and have admiration for Digital Nomads and people that lead Location Independent Lifestyles, then please know that the sarcasm and tone of this post is NOT directed at you. I understand curiosity and this post should clear up a lot of questions. I toyed with the tone and thought about changing it, but I think it’s important to depict the reality of this lifestyle and how people that don’t get it, sometimes approach us. If you read until the end, it will all make sense, and whether you despise it, admire it, live it, or want to live it someday, I believe there is something here for you.
OK, It’s been a long-time coming. I’ve told myself that I would produce this blog time and time again, yet I’d always find other things that were more important. Well after getting the millionth question about how I survive, and will I ever go back to work; I’ve finally decided to sit down and write an explanation for people who have no Earthly idea what I’m talking about when I discuss my full-time, location independent lifestyle.
I’m talking about the people that I have to tell over and over and over again, that I am not on some long extended vacation. It seems that there are some people that no matter what they read on my social media profiles, and or how much I say I am a Digital Nomad with multiple streams of income, they refuse to either believe it or accept it and they insist on making sure I know that they are just not buying it.
Now, while I may come across strong and passionate, let me take a deep breath and explain that I get it. I have to remind myself that while I am completely engulfed in my lifestyle, there are millions of others that have never allowed their minds to even come close to imagining what the hell it is that I do every day. So please pardon my frustration as I pardon the fact that there are some people that simply can’t wrap their brains around this.
I am going to attempt to explain as much as I can, in as simple terms as I can, what this lifestyle is all about. You can go back and see how I got here by reading this blog post.
The truth of the matter is a lot of people call bull-crap when I try to engage in casual conversation about what I do. They think I’m lying, or that I’m doing something unethical. I can’t just explain every little thing over a quick lunch and I don’t really want to. It becomes cumbersome, and coaching and consulting people on this lifestyle is one of my biggest streams of income.
It’s a shame how many people reach out for a lunch meeting, only to “pick my brain.” I didn’t pick anyone’s brain to get here. I did my research, made sacrifices and worked my assets off to create and execute a plan….and YES you can take the same steps and do the same for yourself and your family if you choose to.
Below are a few quick answers with brief explanations to the questions I get from people that are not familiar with Nomadic or Location Independent Lifestyles.
- Yes, I am without a stable home that I call my own, and I’m not looking for a stable home to call my own at the moment. No, I am not a dirty, jobless, toothless, prostituting bum, walking around looking for handouts. This is a chosen lifestyle that gives me freedom to live and work, wherever I choose. Click To Tweet
- One of my companies that affords me to do this is, Pretty Brown Nomad. Yes, THIS is the company. My very own company. I didn’t say and won’t change up and say IBM or Oracle, so stop asking me over and over and over again, what company gives me this lifestyle? I’ve told you multiple times that I have multiple streams of income, and I’ve pointed you to a platform that acts as a storefront for me. The fact that you can’t believe this, has nothing to do with me at this point, and everything to do with you opting not to open your mind to anything else but the status quo. I can always tell so much about a person by what they choose to believe about me. Click To Tweet
- No, I will not be enjoying my holiday or vacation, because I’m not on one. You can stop saying this please. Lol! Again, the frustration comes from the fact that I’ve said this over and over again, yet some insist on calling it this, and disregarding the fact that I’ve said I AM NOT ON VACATION! I know, I know, you don’t understand, although I’ve explained, but perhaps if you keep reading you finally will?
- I honestly and truly have no idea when I’m leaving the particular town that I’m in. Sometimes this is the case. As a person who lives on the road, 99.9% of the time, I’ve purchased1-wayway ticket, and I have no idea when I’m leaving or where I’m even headed to next. I may have just purchased my accommodations the day that I landed. We are not vacationers with set dates and concrete plans.
“I am not “BSing” you when I tell you I don’t know, so please don’t ask me again while raising your eyebrow.”
- Yes, I’m going back to work. Probably as soon as I’m done talking to you. I am typically chained to my laptop, and being in my first year of all of this, I probably work a lot more than your friends do that have a 9 to 5. I WORK DAY IN AND DAY OUT. Why do I have to report to someone else’s company for you to accept that I work? I have an excellent work ethic, and I personally work with other reputable companies and brands, and I’m quite good at it. Can you imagine doing this and having people constantly undermine you and your work by asking you, when you’re going to get a job? Please for the love of God, STOP IT!
“I work, I work, I work!”
- How do you eat? Um, with a fork, with a spoon, if I’m in Sri Lanka, with my fingers. Come on folk! Another clever way to insinuate that I don’t generate income. I purchase and eat food the exact same way any other responsible human would purchase and eat food. Sigh…..
- If I were dying from loneliness, and felt the need to live with or amongst a certain group of people, I wouldn’t live the lifestyle. You’re projecting here. YOU would perhaps die from loneliness. YOU couldn’t and wouldn’t do this because YOU have emotional ties that simply wouldn’t allow you to. No one is forcing me to live in different places. I engage with people as little, or as much as I choose to. I meet some of the most amazing people all over the World, that I otherwise wouldn’t have. I personally have no desire to be in constant, close commune with family or friends, and I understand that everyone wouldn’t agree with this, but some of us do, hence US living the lifestyle. What if I said that I’d die from going in and out of the same boring job every day, and hanging out with the same people day in and day out? I mean this is my truth, but it doesn’t mean that it has to be yours, or that I have to say it to you in a taunting or questionable tone.
“Let’s live and let live.”
- If I were that concerned about settling down, getting married and having children, while living in the same place and going into an office every day….Guess what? I would. Lol! Again, please stop projecting onto me. This is what makes sense TO YOU, or perhaps what you’ve been told makes sense, so you perpetuate it in your life and project it onto others. This isn’t my truth. This isn’t my priority. I am living MY truth and I’m focusing on MY priorities. I am living my life for me. If that upsets you, then so be it. Not sure why my life and path has anything to do with you and your feelings, but yea, I’m gonna do me. And to add to this, traveling frequently does not exclude a person from having a family, so please stop with the assumptions and limitations.
- I never once said that you and the rest of the World wanted my lifestyle. Never even insinuated it, so there is no need for you to assure me that my lifestyle is so far from appealing to you. No need for you to tell me how awkward it must be to be a lonely foreigner, and how you don’t get it. Again, I promise not to bombard you with discussions about how depressed I was in Corporate America and how I can’t stand long, meaningless conversations about the weather. Yes, I seek to attract people that are aligned with me, and I discuss these things with them, but to be so condescending while drawing a line between you and I, is simply not necessary. If you are happy with your life, why can’t you be ok with me being ok with mine, vice versa?
- I can afford to travel because it is my lifestyle. I make sacrifices, I plan, I execute and I work. It’s that simple. I understand curiosity and the desire to travel more yourself. I’m all for helping anyone get there and answering questions about travel hacking and saving on hotels and Airbnb. But to those that question my ethics and integrity….you can seriously go kick a few rocks.
Again, some may argue that the tone of this post could have been a bit more patient, I keep saying this as I believe in being patient and having open and honest dialogue, but I want to express how offensive and inconsiderate some of the questions we get over and over again within the same conversation can be.
I realize that some of if stems from being clueless, but I can quickly distinguish those that are fascinated and curious, from those that are angry, negative and bitter jerks.
You can raise your eyebrows and interrogate me all you want, but the beauty of this lifestyle is that unlike Corporate America, I don’t have to deal with your mental games, manipulation and condescending statements.
I can just move on to more positive and like minded people. Or at the very least, people who can have open conversations with people with varying lifestyles without judgement, bitterness and hate.
Become less judgemental and more curious for once. Click To Tweet. You may be surprised and find yourself opening up to a life that you never even dreamed of. You may want to go on your own adventure, or you may just want to watch me as I go on mine.
Either way, there is no funny business here. I live and I work, and I work and I live, and I personally love my life.
You’d be surprised how cool it is to actually find and engage with people who love their lives, whether you agree with it or not.
Thanks for hearing me out in this educational rant. I’d love to have you follow me and my journey. There you will see that I’m typically not so aggressive 🙂 Subscribe to follow at www.prettybrownnomad.com